Wednesday 20 August 2014

Pay it forward chocolate cake

Don't worry, I'm not becoming a food blogger as well as a mummy blogger. I just wanted to say I have a new found respect for people with dietary requirements. I've always been somebody who will eat most things and I feel very lucky to not have any intolerance or allergies as I now know that I would not cope very well.

When Master S and L were very little, the paediatrician diagnosed them with a cow's milk protein intolerance - basically a dairy intolerance.  Apparently pretty common in premature babies.  This meant if I wanted to breastfeed I had to cut all dairy out of my diet.  At first I didn't think it was too big a deal as I don't drink a heap of milk but then I realised this included cheese and I love cheese and had just foregone all the good ones during pregnancy.  Plus dairy is in almost every yummy baked good - cakes, croissants, biscuits, everything.  Not to mention lots of pasta sauces and of course lasagne is out.  This wiped out many of the frozen meals I had cooked up for us prior to arrival of the babies.  Next I realise that even straight up chocolate has dairy in it.  I'm not really sure what milk solids are but they're in a lot of good things.

Now I must add that breastfeeding makes you hungry and breastfeeding twins makes you ravenous.  Also when you are sleep deprived, you kind of just want your comfort foods, so it's fair to say that at this stage I was pretty miserable.  

Then my friend Katherine knocked on the door one evening and like some kind of food angel produced a dairy free chocolate cake for me.  I can't thank Katherine enough for this but when I found out that one of the girls I met in the neonatal unit is still having to forego dairy, I got the recipe from Katherine and whipped up some chocolate cake for her too. Everybody needs cake.








No comments:

Post a Comment