Tuesday 29 July 2014

Were the naysayers on to something?

"We don't like twins" was the opening remark of the first doctor I saw after finding out I was pregnant with twins.  It hit me like a slap in the face.  I was expecting "congratulations."  She went on to tell me every possible risk factor there is with an identical twin pregnancy.  I left in tears feeling like my uterus was a ticking bomb.  One of the next doctors I saw proceeded to tell me that there was no way I was going to carry two healthy babies to full term and he recommended a c-section at thirty-five weeks. So it went on. It seemed that the health professionals were determined to kill my buzz.


Random people at work and even one in line at a coffee shop went out of their way to tell me they had once had a twin pregnancy but it didn't work out. These are not stories I needed to hear.  I did my best to stay confident but between the experts, the anecdotes and Dr Google it was a pretty nerve-racking period.

I ended up delivering naturally at 34 weeks and the babies were in the neonatal unit for three weeks.  It's a bit of a blur but the discharge summary mentions respiratory distress, apneas, caffeine treatment (for me or the baby?), sepsis, jaundice and a whole heap of other words I don't know the meaning of.  For three weeks, I spent my time traipsing between home and the hospital, trying desperately to find babysitting for my not quite two year old, give her the attention she needed plus bond with the babies.  It wasn't a fun time.

I now realise that 34 weeks gestation with three weeks in hospital is actually pretty good for twins and despite our ups and downs, the boys have done really well.  However, it would seem we are in the minority. I have kept in touch with three other twin mums who I met in the neonatal unit and all three have ended back in hospital after discharge. 

This weekend we're heading to country Victoria for a wedding - four hours on a plane plus one and a half on a bus. We committed months ago and of course I'm nervous but I'm excited. Would I have booked if I'd known what I do now? Probably not. Am I glad I did? Yes. Let's just hope we continue to overcome the odds and the boys not only stay healthy but we have a great time. Fingers crossed!

5 comments:

  1. Great pic of the boys!
    You have your very own paediatric emergency nurse on hand remember, we will be great xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your twins are gorgeous. Well done mumma for the wonderful job you're doing. I'm on a great & supportive hip dysplasia fb group for my girl. Let me know if you would like to be added. Great blog too xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wedding will be infinitely better for your presence. This much I know. Honest to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if it helps to know you are not alone, but I found this interesting. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/meghan-szylvian/a-letter-to-my-preemies_b_5632110.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037

    Good luck in an exciting journey. And let me know if I can do anything.

    ReplyDelete