Sunday 3 January 2016

The great moments

'Twas the morning before gastro, and all across the beach was a feeling of joy and hope for the year ahead. It was New Year's Day.

2015 had began with Ed having pneumonia and ended with Master S vomiting in the car. It also ended with me feeling a bit defeated. For 2016, I'd announced my new year's resolution was to bring out my positive self and find the good in things.

As we sat at the beach, I thought about how lucky we were to have my sister with us for New Year. I thought about how lucky we were to get a great car park. I thought about how lucky we were to bump into great friends while we were there. I thought about how lucky I am to have an amazing husband who bought me a rashie for Christmas.

I focused on how happy Miss 3 was to jump straight in the water when a year ago she would have refused to go anywhere near it. I focused on the smiles of the boys when they were happy playing and again thought about how lucky I was to have people around me to help out when they weren't so happy.

Me from late 2015 would have noticed it was a bit windy. It was, but actually where we were was quite protected. Me from late 2015 would have felt like there was lots of whinging and that there is always whinging. There was a bit of whinging but at any point in time at least one child was happy and there were also moments when all were happy. Those are the moments I want to absorb and remember in 2016. The great moments! It might be a minute, it might be an hour, it might be a day. Those moments of joy are what I'm going to see this year.

As we left the beach I was feeling like I'd nailed my resolution for at least half a day. Little did I know it was going to be tested in the most horrible of ways. Gastro has struck the family and right now the only positive I can see is that I'm pretty sure it's over. I'm going to write it off as a horrible thing that happened and move on to enjoy 2016.

There are going to be a lot of great moments in 2016 and I am going to enjoy them. That is my resolution.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment