Saturday 1 November 2014

Halloweening

I just looked up halloween on wikipedia and I still don't really understand what it's about. I know there are lots of people who say it's just a commercial exercise and it's not an Australian tradition. Maybe they are right but it's also fun and I actually think it's great for building a community spirit.

I have never seen so many children running around on the street as I did yesterday. It was fantastic to see neighbours talking to each other and people generally getting excited as a group. I hadn't actually realised it was halloween until yesterday when we walked down the street and discovered houses decorated with spider webs, black cats and skeletons. Not wanting to be the halloween grinch, I decided to get onboard and like it or not, it would seem that a lot of people are with me. By the time I got to the shops they had run out of pumpkins.

Miss 2 what was going on but she loved looking at the decorated houses and seeing the little witches, ghosts and various other costumed and face-painted children running around. When they all knocked on the door at about 6.30pm she was literally about to jump into the bath and was stark naked as she opened the door. It almost seemed like I had been organised enough to prepare her a costume.




No comments:

Post a Comment